Yes, there are ads

I have included advertisements on this page because I am extremely poor. If you would help me out by clicking an ad I would be grateful. I have limited the ads to the categories that I believe will interest my readers. I have blocked the smutty categories. I also know that there will be ads that neither you or I agree with.

About Comments

I have gotten rid of the Google+ requirement. What a fail it was.
I have reposted the comments that would have been lost.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Which is More Spiritual, the Scroll or the Book?



Did you know: The codex was created in the century before Christ was born. This was a brand new technology. In fact, the time frame would be like us using film to store data, yes, this is still a large industry today. Now get this, it is well known, even among the non-Christians, that the early followers of Christ actually decided to use this new technology as an identification of who they were! In fact, they were the ones who made the codex a major advancement. Without Christians the codex, or the book as most of us know it, would never have gained prominence among the scholars so fast!

Psalm 23: The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
I find that some Mennonites have a fear of technology based on their fear of the possibility of doing evil. I agree we are to watch what we do and make sure it is in line with the way God wants us to live, however, the fear of the possibility of doing evil has taken over the lives of many Christians. This fear has been given the high place in their souls, a place that should be occupied by peace and knowledge that God protects us from that which we cannot handle.

The only way that a computer can suck you into something evil is if your own flesh wants to do it! Btw, the accidental viewing of an evil picture is not your fault and it is not sin. It becomes a problem when lust takes over and begins to desire more of what you accidentally saw. Conquer that desire and you already won! 

Now, do not assume that I think it is OK to do things that will cause you to stumble.

1 Corinthians 10: 1-13 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Now I want you to know, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, all passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. They all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from a spiritual rock that followed them, and that rock was Christ. But God was not pleased with most of them, for they were struck down in the wilderness.

Now these things became examples for us, so that we will not desire evil things as they did. Don’t become idolaters as some of them were; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and got up to play. Let us not commit sexual immorality as some of them did, and in a single day 23,000 people fell dead. Let us not test Christ as some of them did and were destroyed by snakes. Nor should we complain as some of them did, and were killed by the destroyer. Now these things happened to them as examples, and they were written as a warning to us, on whom the ends of the ages have come. So, whoever thinks he stands must be careful not to fall. No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to humanity. God is faithful, and He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation He will also provide a way of escape so that you are able to bear it. 
Notice Paul states that we should also be careful to not do that which we know will cause us to stumble. He also reminds us to not test Christ by doing evil! However, he states that God will not allow us to be tempted by anything that we cannot resist! Think about that for a second.

I find that a large number of ultra-Conservative Mennos have a problem with people who use a Bible cell phone app in church. My response? These would be the same folks 600 years ago who would have probably put people in jail for bringing a Bible into church when the priest was considered to be infallible. That was an Argument using multiple Informal Fallacies just to prove a point, and as such is not worth a hill of beans.

All informal fallacies aside, while it is beneficial to be able to know where stuff is in the Bible by memorization, it is also good, in my opinion, to be able to go to a spot in the Bible just by typing in a reference point. Thankfully, the animosity to this type of technology has greatly decreased in the past few years.

I find that a few Mennos and most Amish think that modern technology cannot help with the salvation of people. This view is unfounded and completely wrong! Thousands of Arabs in Muslim countries have been saved because of the broadcasting done by Christian TV stations! There are also millions of people who have been saved because they listened to a sermon on a station that they stumbled across.

One thing that I am appreciative of is the fact that the fear of modern technology, technophobia, is subsiding in Conservative Mennonite culture! 

Next week: There was rebar in the roof.

2 comments:

  1. I have gotten rid of the Google+ requirement. What a fail it was.
    I am reposting the comments that would have been lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thread 1
    Steve Nissley
    There was mention made eluding to the monetary value of a bean plant. To those who have no understanding of gardening, a "hill of beans" does not necessarily mean a 40 acre field of beans on a hill on the back half of a soybean farm.
    A hill of beans generally consists of 3 seeds thrown in a hole and covered up to grow, hoping one out of the three will survive after you have invested much toil and sweat raising that one beloved plant of say green beans.
    Now someone without the appreciation of gardening like those of us icluding my son and I who were blessed with that opportunity as was common in the Mennonite culture, will probably not see the true monetary value of such a bean plant, let alone any moral or emotional or sentimental value as felt by those of us who have struggled to nurture such a plant.
    The writer here was not attempting to diminish the value of such a bean plant nor the fruit thereof, but the term "worth a hill of beans" is common terminology that we who were born farmers understand where others may not, I have learned that some who are with no farming background or no Mennonite background are often lost in the dark with our use of "common" termiology that we freely use.
    In a way though, to such of our friends in the dark, not having that agricultural understanding, might in a way actually in a sense better understand the saying than what we do because we who grew the bean do see moral value in the bean which actually diminishes the meaning of the statement in a way from our own thinking.
    Having said all this, hopefully does not in any way subtract from the meaning or original intent of the writer of using the statement to make his point in the manner of which he chose to do.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget